The Origin of South Lafourche

     Private schools were to be found in the Larose and Cut Off areas as early as 1882; however, the first public school, the Larose Consolidated School, did not open its doors until January, 1916. This school was under the principal ship of Mr. Charles Broussard, who served in that capacity until 1918. Mr. W. F. Dunkleman became the principal in 1919, and during his term the first diploma was awarded in 1920. Mr. E.J. Bienvenu became principal in 1925, and he served as principal until 1950.


     The early schools in Golden Meadow were private and they were conducted in French. The first parish-supported elementary school was started in 1917. In 1933 the Golden Meadow High School was established with Mr. Leonard Miller, Sr. as principal and Mrs. Menton Chouest, who had been principal of the elementary school, as assistant principal. Through the years the school increased in size and scope and graduated many outstanding young men and women from the lower Lafourche area.


     The Cut Off School was built in 1927. It remained in operation until September 1950, when the Larose and Cut Off High Schools were consolidated and became the Larose-Cut Off High School. Mr. Calvin Bordelon, who had been principal of the Cut Off High School for 23 years, was appointed principal of the new consolidated school and Mr. E.J. Bienvenu served as assistant principal. In 1960, Mr. George Hebert accepted the principal ship.


     The Larose-Cut Off High School was destined to be short-lived, for with the rapid increase in student enrollment and the need for increased curriculum offerings at high school level, a broader consolidation was deemed necessary. A decision was made to build a centrally located high school that would serve the whole of the lower Lafourche area. So in 1966 South Lafourche High School opened its doors, a consolidation of Golden Meadow High School and Larose-Cut Off High School. 


     South Lafourche High School, under the leadership and supervision of Ms. Gaye Cheramie, Principal, Ms. Lydia Guidry, Mr. Hennessy Melancon, Mrs. Donna Pierce, and Ms. Anne Robert, Assistant Principals, has proven itself a merit-able addition to the Lafourche public school system. In 1966-67 its enrollment was 767 and it offered its students a curriculum of 77 courses. In 1970-71 its enrollment was 954 and its curriculum included 99 course offerings. Years later, 1980-81, the South Lafourche High School enrollment was 1291 and the curriculum included 141 course offerings. The 2002-2003 enrollment greatly increased from 878 (2001-2002) to 1122 because of the edition of 9th grade. In 2012, South Lafourche High School become the first and only school in Lafourche Parish to be named an "A" School.


     Because of the rural character of the area served by South Lafourche, the school has the dual purpose of serving as the educating agency as well as the center of cultural activity for the people of several communities. Thus, in the forty years of its existence, the school has fulfilled these purposes and looks forward to continued growth and service to the area at large.